Wednesday 16 May 2012

african fabric /fair trade


Is The African Fabric Shop a fair trade business?

It's a question that crops up more and more in emails and at shows.
Because my fabrics and beads come from a variety of sources, some hand-made by artisans and some manufactured, it is difficult for me to make a blanket "fair trade" statement, in the sense that it is generally understood.
So, with the issue of "Fair Trade" in mind, I'll tell you a bit about how I source my fabrics and beads and my relationship with the people who produce them.
Hand-dyed Batiks from Ghana and The Gambia
I buy most of these fabrics directly from the dyers, who generally work at home in their "compounds". Sometimes I order specific patterns and colours, for example with the Kola nut and Indigo designs I buy from Musa in The Gambia. I always pay a fair price to these artisans for three reasons.
  1. A fair price means I get top quality for my customers.
  2. My business means a lot to them and helps them support their extended families.
  3. Over the years the dyers have become more than suppliers. They are my friends.
Kudinda, Langa Lapu and Amafu fabrics
Kudinda is located in Zimbabwe; Langa Lapu and Amafu are in South Africa. All three were started by locally born white women with an artistic flair and a desire to make a difference. These small, creative enterprises provide much-needed training and employment, most often for women. By buying from them, I am supporting these vulnerable communities.
Whole Cloths - Mud Cloths and Indigo
I either purchase these cloths directly form the makers in West Africa, or via a trusted third party. My policy is always to pay a fair price.
Hand-made Beads from Ghana
I buy most of my beads directly from the makers, usually by travelling to their homes and compounds. Sometimes, when I can't get to Ghana, I buy through a trusted fair trade supplier in Accra. In either case, I always pay a fair price to the makers.
Hand-made Buttons from South Africa
The Incomparable Button company is a small, community based operation which trains and employs local women who would otherwise struggle to support their families.
Hand-embroidered Tambani Panels from South Africa
This project provides training and employment for 65 women in a remote, rural community.
Wax Prints and Shwe Shwe Fabrics
Both of these fabrics are manufactured by large textile companies. Most of my wax prints come from Ghana, though occasionally I have some prints that were produced in the UK for the African market, just as they have been since the industrial revolution. I get my Shwe Shwe fabric directly from Da Gama Textiles in South Africa. This company is 40% owned by the workers.

Magie and Esther in Accra

My friend Florence Marty
of TK Beads, Accra


Magie with Jetta in The Gambia

Magie with

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this information, Amanda. I think Africans are really good with their crafts. And I believe that’s part of their cultural heritage. From what I understand of how you conduct trade and business with your fabric suppliers, I think you’re doing it fairly. As you said, buying from them directly instead of through a shop or a middle man is actually a better way of supporting artisans, their craft, and their people.

    Lakia Shaffer

    ReplyDelete